I’ve mentioned previously that in my role as Chief Relationship Officer for CEO Connection I have the opportunity to participate in a series of meetings five times a year at various locales around the country with our members, mid-market CEOs representing companies with an average of $1.6 billion in sales.
These meetings are private so the CEOs may feel comfortable being fully open and honest about their current challenges and perspectives on a variety of issues.
At our most recent event we spent several thoughtful hours discussing leadership, a topic which is obviously near and dear to my heart, as well as to theirs. Nothing that was said disappointed me. Instead, I was truly inspired by what I heard from these leaders of companies you are exceptionally familiar with.
I wanted to share with you what I felt were the “Top 10” statements:
1. Our executive team fired our second best customer because of their abusive behavior. We lost our bonuses as a result. It was the right thing to do.
2. Unleash the profitability of your people by empowering them to do their jobs.
3. Leadership is about inspiring and enabling.
4. Closing your door sends a message to an organization like nothing else. I won’t do it. If people are worried about privacy I tell them to use their “indoor voices.” (Everyone smiled at that!)
5. Bring in people who make you uncomfortable with their diversity of ideas and push you in new ways.
6. The more freedom you give, the more accountability you get.
7. Think of your relationship with your Board as an ongoing dialogue.
8. When people like their boss they are significantly more successful. Usually, when people leave it’s because they are leaving their boss.
9. Hire talent and potential.
10. Engagement and passion for the enterprise sets people apart.
Do any of these statements inspire you the way they encouraged me? What resonated most? Please share in the comments; I’d love to hear your opinions!
“The Introvert’s Guide to Success in Business and Leadership” eBook is NOW Available! Now an Amazon Best Seller & Hot New Release and Featured on Huffington Post!
Click here to DOWNLOAD in PDF format. Thank you!
Photo is Private via lukemedway_uk.